This recipe is a little harder than those I typically try, but I was up for the challenge. And it really wasn’t that hard besides having to wait a lot in between kneading and such. I got it from a Family Circle magazine back in November. It ended up so pretty and is delicious! I’m pretty proud of it! This time, I’m including a few step by step photos.
Twisted Berry Nut Bread
Makes: 16 servings
Prep: 40 minutes
Rise: 2 Hours
Bake: 30 min at 350
3/4 c milk
1/3 c sugar
3 T unsalted butter
1/2 t salt
1 packet (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water (105 degrees to 115)
4 1/4 c flour, plus more for dusting
3/4 c seedless raspberry jam
3/4 c chopped walnuts, toasted
1 T sugar
1. Dough: Heat milk, sugar, butter and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Let cool 30 min.
2. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl; stir to dissolve. Add milk mixture, 2 of the eggs, and 1 1/4 c flour. Beat 3 min on med-low until smooth, scraping down side of bowl. Stir in about 3 c flour to form dough.
3. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, 3-5 min, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Place dough in large oiled bowl, turning dough to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled, 1 hour.
4. Punch dough down; place on floured surface. Cover; let rest 15 min.
5. Lightly coat 15X10X1 in baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
6. Filling: Roll dough into 14-in square. Brush with jam, leaving 1 in border. Sprinkle with walnuts.
7. Beginning with one edge, roll dough up, jelly-roll style. Pinch seam closed, then carefully transfer to prepared baking sheet, seam-side down; reshape into 14 in roll. Cut roll in half lengthwise. With cut-sides facing up, and beginning in middle and working to top, keeping cut sides up as much as possible; pinch ends together and under to seal. Repeat with bottom half of loaf. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.
8. Heat oven to 350. Lightly beat remaining egg. Brush over top of bread, then sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake at 350 for about 30 min or until lightly golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.