P31 Wannabe

Cooking a Whole Pumpkin October 31, 2011

Filed under: Recipes — Lacey @ 11:36 am

After reading The Happy Housewife’s post on how easy it is to cook a whole pumpkin, I decided to give it a try yesterday. Honestly, I had never really considered cooking pumpkin. I just always bought the canned version. But according to her post, fresh pumpkin is better for you, more tasty, cheaper, and makes recipes more moist.

Here’s the link to her how-to:

How to Cook a Whole Pumpkin

I cooked half of the pumpkin in the crockpot and the other half I had to cook in the oven because it was too big to all fit in the crockpot. The crockpot part was quite a bit moister, but I may just have not cooked the oven part long enough (I did it at 20 min longer than the website below recommended). But it all mixed well together in the end.

Here’s the link to the instructions i used for how to cook it in the oven (disclaimer, I just searched on google and I didnt read the whole page, just the cooking instructions…in case theres something weird on there):

Multiple ways to cook a pumpkin

I bought my pumpkin at ALDI for $2! It was a huge jack-o-latern type (well, I’m assuming, there wasn’t a description tag). You can cook with either kind. The smaller ones are sweeter I guess, but they all work great. (using carving pumpkins)

You can use a food processor or even a blender to purée it. I used my large kitchen aid mixer and it did awesome. It’s so much easier to use than my food processor.

I ended up with about 15 cups of pumpkin! So much cheaper than the canned version!

I used some in making pumpkin pancakes last night and I froze the rest.
I debated on how I wanted to freeze it. It seems like most recipes call for 1 or 2 cups. But I didn’t want to use up 15 freezer bags to hold one cup each and I didn’t want to put 2 cups in because some recipes only call for 1. So here’s what I came up with:

20111031-113147.jpg

I filled each plastic cup with 1 cup of pumpkin, froze them then popped them out and stored them in a gallon ziploc.

20111031-113153.jpg

They weren’t super easy to get out, but not ridiculously hard. I had to run the sides under hot water and tap it a bit to get them out. The second batch of them I sprayed the cup with nonstick spray first. We’ll see how that works.

Advertisements
 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s